LYMAN HIGH SCHOOL
PRINCIPAL’S WEEKLY UPDATE
July 26, 2019
Good afternoon parents, this is Mr. Rice, Principal of Lyman High School and this is your Weekly Principal’s Update!
The start of the school year is right around the corner! Are you ready? Is your child ready? Have you started to think about the academic growth that is possible for your child? Has your child taken some time to reflect on their past year of education and considered their goals for next year that will lead to achieving One Year’s Growth in One Year’s Time? My hope is that you replied yes to some or all of these questions. But, if not, you still have some time to give additional consideration.
As a school, we are almost ready. But, we too still have additional preparations to make! Our floors have been waxed, several areas of our campus received a paint touch-up, the courtyard has been pressure washed, and our classrooms are setup and ready to Inspire Learning! All that is missing is our teachers, who will return on August 6th and our students, who will return on August 12th!
The next two weeks are going to fly by, so here are a few important items of note that will help you and your child kick-off a successful start of the 2019-2020 School Year.
ORIENTATIONS/SCHEDULE PICKUP 2019
Orientations for the 2019-2020 School Year will take place on August 1st. We look forward to spending the day with you and providing you with all the necessary information for the upcoming school year. During orientation, students may pick up their class schedule, purchase spirit wear and join the athletic boosters, speak with coaches and club sponsors about ways to Get Involved and walk the halls to see classroom locations. Our Freshman and New Student Orientation will provide most of this through a guided student tour and will also include a more detailed parent information session to help you support your child in this critical transition year.
Here is the schedule of events:
- 8:00am-9:30am - Orientation –Freshmen/New Students Last Names A-J (8:00am start in the Auditorium)
- 10:00am-11:30am - Orientation – Freshman/New Students Last Names K-Z (10:00am start in the Auditorium)
- 12:00pm-1:00pm - Upperclassmen Schedule Pickup – Gymnasium - Last Names A-J
- 1:00pm-2:00pm - Upperclassmen Schedule Pickup – Gymnasium - Last Names K-Z
PARKING DECAL SALES 2019-2020
For the 2019-2020 School Year, parking decals will be sold on Friday, August 2nd in the Gymnasium. Seniors can reserve a parking spot only if they are planning to paint a design. Juniors will not be able to reserve a specific spot. We will not be selling reserved parking this year because we have another construction project in the Building 4 parking lot that will start during the Winter Break. This project will drastically affect the number of parking spots available during the second semester.
Here is the schedule for decal sales on August 2nd:
- SENIORS ONLY – 8:00am-10:00am
- JUNIORS & SENIORS – 10:00am-12:00pm
The parking application and information on senior parking spot painting is available on the Lyman High School Website
FALL SPORTS TRYOUTS
Your opportunity is now! Click HERE for a listing of all Fall Sports, the coach’s contact information, tryout dates, and dates for pre-season conditioning. Take some time to review this today before your opportunity slips away. Please Note: There is a mandatory Fall Sports Parent and Student Meeting on August 8, 2019 at 6:30pm in the Auditorium.
Specifically, we are looking for girls to play on our Girls Golf Team. If your daughter or anyone you know is interested, please contact Coach Vantienderen at firstname.lastname@example.org. LET'S GO HOUNDS!
We do not provide a specific school supplies list. For the most part, if your child comes prepared with paper, pencils, pens, and a binder or two to organize their work, they will be fine. Individual classroom teachers will share more information on the first day of school.
At this time, seniors should be scheduling their Senior Photo Session at DSP. The link to the DSP Website can be found on the Senior Year Experience page of our website. This task must be complete by October 2019. PLEASE NOTE – Students who do not take a Senior Photo will not be listed in the 2019-2020 Yearbook.
On August 5th, bus route information can be found by clicking HERE
A few of our courses have summer assignments. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Our Frequently Asked Questions section of our website is a page that is especially helpful for incoming students, but it also offers some great information for all students. Click HERE for more information.
2020 Yearbooks are on sale now at our lowest price of the year with our summer saving’s cost of $65. Buy yours today at https://yearbookforever.com/
THIS WEEK’S BELL SCHEDULE
Not quite yet! More information will be shared next week regarding the bell schedule for the first few days of school.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- Orientation 2019 – August 1, 2019
- 8:00-9:30am - Orientation –Freshmen/New Students Last Names A-J (8:00 am Start in the Auditorium)
- 10:00-11:30am - Orientation – Freshman/New Students Last Names K-Z (10:00 am Start in the Auditorium)
- 12:00-1:00pm - Upperclassmen Schedule Pickup – Gymnasium - Last Names A-J
- 1:00-2:00pm - Upperclassmen Schedule Pickup – Gymnasium - Last Names K-Z
- Parking Sales – August 2, 2019 – 8-10am (Seniors), 10am-12pm (Juniors & Seniors) - Gymnasium
- Fall Sports Mandatory Parent Meeting – August 8, 2019 – 6:30pm (Auditorium)
- First Day of School – August 12, 2019 – 7:20am-2:20pm
- Taste of the Dogs Community Tailgate & Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – August 16th – 5:00-7:00pm – Football Game vs. Winter Park @ 7:00pm
- Homecoming Week – September 23-28
- Homecoming Parade – Thursday, September 26th – Downtown Longwood – 6pm
- Homecoming Football Game vs. WSHS – Friday, September 27th – Carlton D. Henley Athletic Complex at Lyman HS
- Homecoming Dance – Saturday, September 28th
Remember, you matter, we matter, Everyone Matters at Lyman High School where we are empowering the youth of today to innovate tomorrow!
Michael J. Rice
Lyman High School